Sunday, July 5, 2009

To Uke Or Not To Uke...



Lately, I've been drawn to the ukulele (pricing them online, listening to its beautifully delicate register, and enjoying the way it looks in the arms of 200+ lbs dudes).
Its just so simple. Its the way I want my life to be. If I had to pick 4 words to describe the "uke" they'd be: cunning, feathery, hammock-like, and youthful. In the past 24 hours I've sat through hundreds of ukulele performances on YouTube- some awe-inspiring, and some rather (well...) shitty. But all performances somehow possess the 4 defining words above.

If Harry Houdini played a musical instrument, then it was probably the ukulele. Hell, if it weren't for this dandy construction, the state of Hawaii wouldn't exist, the late creepy "Tiny" Tim would have never graced a Television set, and if we googled "ukuleleworld.com" we see "this page cannot be displayed."

A ukulele purchase is eminent for me. But I don't just want any 4 stringed box of love, I want a specific "uke." I want one that has a story behind it. I wanna tell a crowd while on stage that "this here ukulele was used to beat a grown man to his death!" Or "this here ukulele was fashioned from an authentic Native-American war canoe!"

More so than a lusting for a new trinket, the "uke" search has turned me on to a few great artists. Be sure to check out Rachel Goodrich, Jake Shimabukuro, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, and Ingrid Michaelson.

I've already written a song for my ukulele...

"You can stand under my ukulele (ele ele eh eh eh)
Under my ukulele (ele ele eh eh eh)"

1 comment: