Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Station




This is way to long to twitter. All relationships are built on communication. Work relationships, friends, family, other loved ones- even pets! It all hinges on communication. Yes, we all know this, but its all to often we overlook the even more common thread of "wants"... What do I want? I've given my life a lot of thought tonight. I want one thing- and thats love. Not entirely in the romantic sense, but "love" is the greatest motivation for any relationship or career path. There's nothing more pure than love. I want so badly to wake up one morning and feel as though my music has made a dent in other's lives, but more importantly, I can only control myself. I want to write and perform music because I love to do it- and frankly, I couldn't see myself doing anything else.

Sometimes I feel as though I've sabotaged every other thing in my life entirely other than music. And thats not to say I haven't sabotaged some of my own performances, but love is what keeps me headed down a road of uncertainty.


Reading the passage below always seems to comfort me.


The Station by Robert J. Hastings

Tucked away in our subconscious minds is an idyllic vision in which we see ourselves on a long journey that spans an entire continent. We're traveling by train and, from the windows, we drink in the passing scenes of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at crossings, of cattle grazing in distant pastures, of smoke pouring from power plants, of row upon row of cotton and corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of city skylines and village hills.
But uppermost in our conscious minds is our final destination--for at a certain hour and on a given day, our train will finally pull into the Station with bells ringing, flags waving, and band playing. And once that day comes, so many wonderful dreams will come true. So restlessly, we pace the aisles and count the miles, peering ahead, waiting, waiting, waiting for the Station.

"Yes, when we reach the Station, that will be it!" we promise ourselves. "When we're eighteen...win that promotion...put that last kid through college...buy that 450SL Mercedes-Benz...have a nest egg for retirement!"
From that day on we will live happily ever after.
Sooner or later, however, we must realize there is no Station in this life, no one earthly place to arrive at once and for all. The journey is the joy. The Station is an illusion--it constantly outdistances us. Yesterday's a memory, tomorrow's a dream. Yesterday belongs to history, tomorrow belongs to God. Yesterday's a fading sunset, tomorrow's a faint sunrise. Only today is there light enough to love and live.

So, gently close the door on yesterday and throw the key away. It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad, but rather the regret over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who rob us of today.
"Relish the moment " is a good motto. So stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, swim more rivers, climb more mountains, kiss more babies, count the stars. Laugh more and cry less. Go barefoot oftener. Eat more ice cream. Ride more merry-go-rounds. Watch more sunsets. Life must be lived as we go along. The Station will come soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. Your music makes me think "I can do that" about my farthest dreams.

    ReplyDelete